Vending Machine for Future Ailments - Planning
Revised 11/19/2017 after playtesting.
This project aims to playfully and personally answer the question: Is the future (in our lifetimes) scary?.
Through it, I reach deep into my brain to express some of my future fears. In the familiar form of a vending machine, I’d like to sell prescription kits for ailments that I fear now and into the future.
At the moment, I’m still refining the story for this project, mainly how I arrived at this line of questioning, how it relates to my hypochondria, and how best to get the message across.
Playtesting this was really telling:
- Do a better job of putting the user into a future mindset, that is, make the interaction feel as though it were in the future by playing with the design, interface, and messaging. Doing some research and thinking hard on this. :sweat:
- How to better express the complexity of each fear? While each speculative medication needs an essay how do I do it on the back of a box.
- Lean on fiction! Tell a story and avoid the wikipedia. Stay fictional throughout the piece.
- Go beyond the box. USB sticks, websites, videos, etc. Essentially, encourage a second action with more opportunity to explain the project.
- Stand next to the project and narrate everything. JK =P
- What is the future aesthetic? Hand scanners and vending machines seem anachronistic to most…
- Will this be in the winter show? Think about how repeatability of the speculative drugs and design to easily add more!
Diagrams & Prototypes
- Order all parts
- Build out the enclosure
- Prototype individual components
- Finalize individual components
- Design and print vending machine inserts
- Mon, Dec 4 - User testing in class
- Programming - calibration and timing
- Focus on aesthetics and childproofing
- Mon, Dec 11 - Final presenter @ last class
Bill of Materials
Unfortunately, still a lot of unknowns so this BOM is very much a work in progress!